Pantsing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
pls
Site Admin

Re: Pantsing

Postby pls » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

GrinningBear wrote:
williamadams wrote:nope

when i taught at the uni i noticed my students could not right
i contacted the english dept there and told them to teach HOW TO WRITE
they actually made some changes and the students had an easier time after that

Was this planned out?

williamadams will not be able to answer you until after May 9. I suspended him until then for a personal attack in the Poetry Forum
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 am

One of the many inaccurate, uninformed statements in this thread asserts that there are no writing books on pantsing (I hate that term). Wrong. One of the best writing books out there is Steven James's "Story Trumps Structure: How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules." Steven is a best-selling author of FBI thrillers, and he has no use for outlines, character inventories, three-act structures, etc. Rather, he is all about telling a story (he has a Master's Degree in Storytelling) and the narrative process. He calls his method "organic writing," but it's what people mean by the term "pantsing." Tension, desire, crisis, escalation, struggle, discovery are the techniques he teaches in this book, not plot templates and formulas.

I strongly recommend this book (I've read it twice), as well as his book on editing: "Troubleshooting Your Novel." Both books helped me become a better writer, and I hope to study with Steven this summer at ThrillerFest. I do not plot or outline either, so his writing method really resonates with me.

I have read all Steven's FBI thrillers, and they are real page turners. He sure does know how to tell a gripping story, and that's what he teaches in "Story Trumps Structure."

--Warren
Last edited by wdarcy on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

ostarella
Private E-2

Postby ostarella » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

I think I love you. :lol:

PS -- take lots and lots of notes, please!

Noizchild
Master Sergeant

Postby Noizchild » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 am

I do this all the time. I tried planning, but it doesn't really work out for me. I don't have the patience to make myself do it.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

ostarella
Private E-2

Postby ostarella » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am

Noizchild wrote:I do this all the time. I tried planning, but it doesn't really work out for me. I don't have the patience to make myself do it.

My biggest problem is that when I've started writing a plan, I can't just write the plan. The first thing I know, I've written the first chapter instead of the first bullet point. :o

Brien Sz
Master Sergeant

Postby Brien Sz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 am

I go into a book with the basic idea. Like Harold Corban said (paraphrase), I have a beginning and I have an end, I just have to figure out how to connect the two. I work along similar lines - I also have a couple scenes in between (sometimes they get written in, other times the story has gone elsewhere and there is no need for them). It's generally in my second draft that I plan a little more - I'll have a better idea of what I liked and what I didn't. I'll identify what I think are weak spots and organize myself to tackle various sections of the book. It's what works for me. After beta readers then get done with it, I'll adjust accordingly.

Noizchild
Master Sergeant

Postby Noizchild » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 pm

ostarella wrote:
Noizchild wrote:I do this all the time. I tried planning, but it doesn't really work out for me. I don't have the patience to make myself do it.

My biggest problem is that when I've started writing a plan, I can't just write the plan. The first thing I know, I've written the first chapter instead of the first bullet point. :o

Planning won't war for me.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party