The Blovel is Dead

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Do Write

Re: The Blovel is Dead

Postby Do Write » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 am

The Blovel is dead I can't believe it . He gave up on the blovel , after constantly promoting it .
I guess it was just not meant to be , after all a Blog is just blog , and serial novel is a serial .
He'll come up with something else , the blovel is unique though , at least he tried .

http://www.weirdworldwebzine.com/index.html

http://bluemoonpoetry.devhub.com/

pls

Postby pls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 am

How 'bout one more day of flogging this topic, and then I'll lock it so we can move on?

Ultimate Cheapskate

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 am

TerryRodgers wrote:
gesler0811 wrote: Will being nice to people and having a positive attitude get me further in the writing world? Of course not, but I do know that my attitude is the reason why I am where I am today.

Actually, Terry, I think being a "nice guy" - polite, friendly, easy-going, helpful, etc. - is extremely important to succeeding in the writing world, particularly because the field is rife with prima donnas and narcissists. If faced with two equally talented authors, one a “nice guy” and the other a jerk, who do you think the agent, editor, publisher, etc. is going to choose?
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

b.sherman

Postby b.sherman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 am

TerryRodgers wrote:
gesler0811 wrote:I actually thought the story itself was pretty decent, at least the first dozen or so posts. I was surprised when he suddenly made the page private, which seemed to defeat the whole purpose of all the promotion in the first place.

The reason this format will never take off should be pretty clear - you can't get into a story with such short posts, as a reader I want immersion, which is why I deliberately waited a week or more and read several posts at once, defeating the purpose of what he was trying to do in the first place. And I can't imagine reading a dozen or more "blovels" at once, I think it would be impossible to keep all the storylines and characters straight.

Anyway, it was a good try, maybe he can revamp the story later as a more traditional type of work.

I agree his writing was pretty good, and I told him that. What turned me off was his attitude. I don't get into the whole Hollywood gossip thing or sports stars because I don't care for the attitude of some of them. There's nothing wrong with being humble or maybe that was how I was raised. He could be the greatest writer that ever put pen to paper, but his attitude will prevent him from being a success. Or maybe not. Some people like that. Some people like controversy. Maybe that makes me short-sighted although I remember telling him the story just wasn't for me. I'm sure there are plenty of authors I have read that are the same way, but since I don't know that they are . . .

True story. About thirteen years ago (old job before current one) the CEO told me I would never become upper management because I was too nice to people and that I needed to stretch the truth from time to time for the betterment of the company. A year later, after I presented the latest business proposal for increasing revenue for my department (IT), they let me go. They then took my proposal and increased revenue by 1000% and hired thirty additional people. Everything that I had asked for in the proposal they did. They even took the 150 page security policy I wrote, slapped another name on it and passed an industry standard rating for hardened data centers. All because I was too nice. Ten years later, I'm the Chief Technology Officer for an insurance company and guess what; I think I'm still a nice guy. Will being nice to people and having a positive attitude get me further in the writing world? Of course not, but I do know that my attitude is the reason why I am where I am today.

Although I do not know if the blovel would have taken off if he had a better attitude, I do know that I may have read more of it. I always return kindness with kindness. :D

Wow, Terry! very well said, and very inspiring. Attitude is a precious commodity; if you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror, no one else will, either.

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm

pls wrote:How 'bout one more day of flogging this topic, and then I'll lock it so we can move on?

I agree and thank you for letting us blow off a little steam at the expense of someone else. :D

"Group Hug."

pls

Postby pls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

TerryRodgers wrote:
pls wrote:How 'bout one more day of flogging this topic, and then I'll lock it so we can move on?

I agree and thank you for letting us blow off a little steam at the expense of someone else. :D

"Group Hug."

Snort!

Do Write

Postby Do Write » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm

My webesl wovels perhaps after this I can come up with a new spin on the perspective of things .
I call mine serial novels not too original as the blovel was hopefully my printer doesn't eat my serial.
now I am looking for a new topic , but can't presently think of one to start .'
probably every topic has been covered .

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/eva.tolson

Weirdworldwebzine: http://www.weirdworldwebzine.com/

Blue Moon Poetry: http://bluemoonpoetry.devhub.com/

pls

Postby pls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 am

Time to move on, peeps. Write more.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party