Bad Writing Advice?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
pls

Bad Writing Advice?

Postby pls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm

DrG2

Re: Bad Writing Advice?

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm

I think the author of that narrowed the intent of the original author to silliness.

Elibet1

Postby Elibet1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Seems to me some of those Writers were being facetious. :mrgreen: Don't have children! Don't read! Don't write long sentences, and write when you are drunk. Really? Let me add my writing advice: Weigh all writing advice on the scales of common-sense.
[b]JOINED: WED APR 5th 2006. POSTS: 7,577[/b]
http://elizabethre.wordpress.com

rosebud

Postby rosebud » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Well, I don't understand why the author doesn't want us to take his advice either. I almost stopped reading there, but I enjoy reading famous writer's quotes. Can't wait until I'm a famous writer, then someone can counter my quotes as well. :mrgreen:

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 am

Yeah, nobody's advice is always golden. Some writers tend to get an overblown ego. In the end, the process isn't nearly as important as the result (if it were, everyone would use the same process). We're not manufacturing widgets, after all.
There's only one absolute in writing - Never listen to absolutes.

Boycott Amazon

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 am

Now I know why I've never heard of Emily Temple. Snide remarks to what is almost universally wonderful advice, most of which she doesn't seem smart enough to understand, do not make a writer good.

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 am

Elibet1 wrote:Seems to me some of those Writers were being facetious. :mrgreen: Don't have children! Don't read! Don't write long sentences, and write when you are drunk. Really? Let me add my writing advice: Weigh all writing advice on the scales of common-sense.

No, they were serious, and if taken the right way, it's all good advice. And he didn't say don't read, he said stop reading if you've already been reading for a lifetime. That is silly and unnecessary, but the way he meant it is not. No advice is written in stone, except for Bradbury's, but when taken the way it's intended, all this advice is golden.

updog

Postby updog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 am

DrG2 wrote:I think the author of that narrowed the intent of the original author to silliness.

Yeah, definitely.

Harper Lee only had one novel published, but that certainly wasn't the only thing she ever wrote!
    Avoid "detailed" descriptions doesn't mean never describe anything.
    Leonard said: "WHEN a small word WILL DO."
    And even the write drunk advice makes sense if you think of 'drunk' writing as just 'uninhibited' writing. Worrying about what grandma or your high school English teacher will think of your story is a sure way to stifle your creativity.

I could go on...
All advice needs to be taken in context and applied with common sense. Is it really so hard to figure that out? :P

wdarcy

Postby wdarcy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm

updog wrote:All advice needs to be taken in context and applied with common sense. Is it really so hard to figure that out? :P

Apparently it is, at least for some . . .

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

nhope

Postby nhope » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm going to assume that these responses are from them being asked the question "what advice would you give to aspiring writers?" for the 30,000,000,000 time. And Richard Ford's comment on not having kids? He probably had a bundle of them and made that statement on a day when he wondered what the heck was he thinking.

Yes, we should take it if it appeals to us but remember we don't know the context so we should give them a little leeway.

Let's play Rosebud's game! What would your line be?
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party