[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Grammar - The use of 'to be' verbs : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Grammar - The use of 'to be' verbs

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Grammar - The use of 'to be' verbs

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I have no problem using 'was' either. But yes, the overkill is what one needs to watch for. In the example given, my opinion is that it was used too much, along with other structural problems. Even given my dislike for that kind of description, getting rid of 'was' and restructuring the sentences would make it more interesting to read.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Personally I would try to just reorganize the sentences so "was" isn't used in every one, just for the sake of redundancy. I try to do things like make sure an action verb isn't repeated too much on the same page, and that every paragraph on the page doesn't start with the same thing, too, though. Like if every paragraph on the page starts with "I thought/said/did something" I would change it up. But again those are nitpicky things.

Like others said, technically those things aren't wrong, but if you write a paragraph and everything in it says "he was, his skin was, her skin was," etc you might want to change it later on in edits. But obviously it didn't matter in this case because it was published anyway . . . these are all just picky things.

Using "to be" verbs definitely isn't bad . . . but action verbs are just considered stronger, when possible.
Previously published writer starting over.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:51 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 pm

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Maybe I'm in a pessimistic mood, but I think most of the writers we look up to would have a hard time getting traditionally published these days. :cry:

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel