[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
More Punctuation Questions: Commas : Writers' Block Party • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

More Punctuation Questions: Commas

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MatthewTM
Corporal

Re: More Punctuation Questions: Commas

Postby MatthewTM » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:57 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

You can also put the dialogue tag where there is a natural break.

"I wouldn't," said John, "do that."
reads much differently than:
"I wouldn't do that," said John.

Basie
Private E-2

Postby Basie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:47 pm

John didn't budge. "I wouldn't do that."
John stepped forward, squaring his shoulders. "I wouldn't do that."

Question off the beaten track:

John's reaction in both scenarios emphasize his comment while offering two different takes though neither one requires a tag. I wouldn't place the dialogue on a separate line.

If I wrote a few sentences describing John's reaction (eyes of bystanders upon him, etc.), does this require a separate line for dialogue?

This post may need to be moved or ignored. Train of thought....
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:33 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

ryankoz
Private E-1

Postby ryankoz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

The only time I can think that it's dire to remember a comma:

1. Let's eat dad.
2. Let's eat, dad.

One comma just changed the entire context. lol

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I have another comma question. I know when you address one person, the comma is place before or after the name depending on the sentence.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Jim."
"John, the pleasure is all mine."

What about if someone is addressing two people in the same sentence.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Sergeant Fox and Lieutenant Johnson."
"Thank you, Sergeant Fox and Lieutenant Johnson, for meeting with me."

Are the last two sentences correct?

*Disclaimer: These are only sentence examples for the knowledge of placing commas.* :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party