What do you think this means?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
nhope

What do you think this means?

Postby nhope » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 am

I have this thing, it doesn't matter what it is, and I've been lugging it around with me since I was little because it mattered. It made me smile, it gave me comfort, it took me away from that vortex of that current life and grounded me through time.

Today I inadvertently came across that thing and wondered why in the world I still had it.

Huh?

I don't get it.

How can something that was so adored, so cherished, so painstakingly wrapped and safely tucked away one day simply not matter?

What does this mean and has it ever happened to you?
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

LilliesCarol

Re: What do you think this means?

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 am

Might you just be getting older and wiser? It happens!! Darn.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Elibet1

Postby Elibet1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 am

"How can something that was so adored, so cherished, so painstakingly wrapped and safely tucked away one day simply not matter?"

You grew-up?

What I'd give to have my raggedy old patchwork-blanket my mother threw away when I was 6 or 7 years old. It was cherished simply because it was mine. In an house of eight kids that mattered :mrgreen:
[b]JOINED: WED APR 5th 2006. POSTS: 7,577[/b]
http://elizabethre.wordpress.com

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 am

There are things we keep because we need them. They're a talisman. At some point in life, we realize we no longer need them, that we've become strong enough to move ahead without them, and they're either tossed or relegated to storage. Then there are things of sentimental value - we don't need them, but they bring back happy memories. Rarely do we get rid of those.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

pls

Postby pls » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am

shadowwalker wrote:… Then there are things of sentimental value - we don't need them, but they bring back happy memories. Rarely do we get rid of those.

Oh, how true. And I have a nice selection of things that I've managed to save from my childhood - a ceramic cucumber planter and a ceramic lazy grasshopper figure being among them.

One item, or items, that got away were the plastic Christmas tree decorations that were passed down to us in the '50's - snowflakes of various colors with gem-like appendages, and glow-in-the-dark stars and icicles and flakes. I never thought to ask my mom to keep those - why would I? - and they went in the auction when she moved to a small senior housing apartment in town. I spent several hours last night searching for other examples online last night, and I actually found some and saved the URL's.

Why, I don't know. I don't even put up a Christmas tree (although I do decorate the outside of the house with lights).

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm

nhope wrote:I have this thing, it doesn't matter what it is, and I've been lugging it around with me since I was little because it mattered. It made me smile, it gave me comfort, it took me away from that vortex of that current life and grounded me through time.

Today I inadvertently came across that thing and wondered why in the world I still had it.

Huh?

I don't get it.

How can something that was so adored, so cherished, so painstakingly wrapped and safely tucked away one day simply not matter?

What does this mean and has it ever happened to you?

I have five things the I will always hold on to. Two are from my childhood and three are from my mother after she passed away. The first two: my leather boots from when I was an infant (I should have them bronzed) and my train set that I received for Christmas when I was five. From my mother, I have a large painting of an old sailing ship with her name on the side that my father had painted for her forty years ago. I have a pump organ that was passed down from her mother's mother. It's over 150 years old, I think. The last thing is actually from my father's father. It's an old spinning wheel. All items adored and cherished.

Jowen

Postby Jowen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Growing up in England in the post war years when everything was in short supply, rationed, or simply out of sight financially, I learned to value everything I earned or had given. As a result, I have a house full of cherished items. A tiny pair of embroidery scissors from elementary school, the pearls my sister and b-i-l gave me when I was bridesmaid at their wedding; a red mahogany dining room set (table, buffet and chairs), bought for $75 from a friend who was downsizing when I came to Canada in 1958. Old fashioned petite-point and painted pictures, china ornaments, dressmaking shears, gifts and inheritances of all types given over the years by parents and friends. An eclectic lot, including Christmas tree lights and memorabilia from my husband's family. I wouldn't part with any of them and dread the day we will have to downsize. Strangely, everyone who visits my house appears to like it, mixed vintage as it is.

So to answer your question, Nancy. If the "thing" you treasured is connected to an old love, an ex husband or boyfriend, then the fact it no longer matters is a good thing. You are over it and ready to move on. If it is a material thing, perhaps you have outgrown your need of it. Or, you could be mildly depressed, at the point where you are telling yourself nothing much matters anymore (been there, don't that!). So don't throw the thing out yet. You may change your mind about it tomorrow. Think about it, and if you still feel the same in another year, then you don't really need it anymore.
[imge=3509-3]

nhope

Postby nhope » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 pm

shadowwalker wrote:There are things we keep because we need them. They're a talisman. At some point in life, we realize we no longer need them, that we've become strong enough to move ahead without them, and they're either tossed or relegated to storage.

This! Its energy enabled me to forge ahead, to move on, to go beyond where I needed to be, and now I have used all what I needed and can lead the way.

jowen wrote:So to answer your question, Nancy. If the "thing" you treasured is connected to an old love, an ex husband or boyfriend, then the fact it no longer matters is a good thing. You are over it and ready to move on. If it is a material thing, perhaps you have outgrown your need of it. Or, you could be mildly depressed, at the point where you are telling yourself nothing much matters anymore (been there, don't that!). So don't throw the thing out yet. You may change your mind about it tomorrow. Think about it, and if you still feel the same in another year, then you don't really need it anymore.

And this! Not depressed but actually quite liberated. I don't think I've ever felt this sure about a decision in a very long time. I think it's one of those gifts from the universe - it too thinks it's time.
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

Anya Kylash

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

How can the most beautiful thing in the world fade?
How can the world change so easily?
Why do the words and things you loved
Melt into the shadows of time?
Why should life be any different than it was years ago?
And why must a child's every breath
Be his only foe?
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

LMGilbert

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:56 am

This has happened to me, and I discovered that sometimes, long after getting rid of the object, I regretted that choice.

Return to Writers' Block Party