What to charge for articles

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Fernando

What to charge for articles

Postby Fernando » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am

I have started writing for a local magazine and I wrote the first couple of articles for no pay, which was probably a mistake but I was helping out a friend. Nevertheless, they liked them, one is being used as the cover story and now they want to assign me more articles/stories and are asking me what my rates are. Any advice on how much I should charge? The articles range from Profile articles (500-700 words) to features (1800+). Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

FBaron

Re: What to charge for articles

Postby FBaron » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:50 am

Does the magazine not list pay rates in their Writers Guidelines? Without knowing more about it, it's tough to suggest a rate that could be palatable to you and the mag. I've written articles for from .10 - $1.25/word. The upper end of that range is usually reserved for glossy nationals and large regionals - the lower for newspapers and local giveaways.

If rates aren't listed, you might consider checking Writer's Market for rates offered by similar periodicals and go from there. If you're reluctant to suggest a price, you could simply ask the editor what their standard rates are and make a decision based on the answer.

Good for you for being offered a paying gig. Good luck.

Fernando

Postby Fernando » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks FBaron. Very helpful answer.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:20 am

i agree that most venues set their own rates... for those that don't, google for the going rate for what you're supplying and since you're just starting out, go with the middle of the range, till you can show enough clips and good reviews to command more...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 am

It depends entirely on what the magazine can afford to pay. Local magazines generally can't afford much at all. It all depends on subscription number and ad revenue. In all honestly, in cases like this, it's proper for the magazine to make an offer. You don't have a clue what they can afford. They do.

Fernando

Postby Fernando » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

James A. Ritchie wrote:It depends entirely on what the magazine can afford to pay. Local magazines generally can't afford much at all. It all depends on subscription number and ad revenue. In all honestly, in cases like this, it's proper for the magazine to make an offer. You don't have a clue what they can afford. They do.

Great point. Thanks.

EccentricKim

Postby EccentricKim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

I've had two different places pay me $25 per article, but one especially was already well-established, and the other just starting out. (I've also written articles for no pay to an upstart.)
Previously published writer starting over.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 am

so, was the start-up an upstart? ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls

Postby pls » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 pm

mammamaia wrote:so, was the start-up an upstart? ;)

:lol:

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 am

You just never know what kind of revenue a magazine has, and unless you do know, you'll price yourself way too high, or way too low. For articles, I've had brand new magazines pay me as little as fifty bucks, and as much as $1,200. For fiction, I've had magazines of similar size, but radically different ad revenue, pay me as little as $150, and as much as $1,000 for short stories of equal length.

I always try to find out what other writers have been paid, or say, "Make me an offer." This puts the ball back in their court.

Return to Writers' Block Party