Speech Recognition Software?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
TerryRodgers

Re: Speech Recognition Software?

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 pm

shadowwalker wrote:
TerryRodgers wrote:
shadowwalker wrote:The nice thing about Dragon and other such programs is that you don't have to do the transcribing yourself - just go over the automatically transcribed script and make corrections (which you would do anyway). ;)

What do you mean?

These programs type what you've recorded/dictated, so instead of you listening to what you recorded, typing it, then stopping to listen to the next bit, typing it, etc etc - you just have to read what the program typed and make corrections, which is what you would do regardless of who typed it out.

Got it. That make sense and sounds much better than trying to edit with speech. :D

gesler0811

Postby gesler0811 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 am

I definitely AM NOT an "edit as I go" kind of writer, unless I write something down that really sucks, then I will change it before I move on or else it will keep calling out to me like the telltale heart.

Having said that, however, I seem to have a better command of my train of thought when I am typing than when I am speaking, so I don't know if such software would work for me. But in my career as an IT professional, I have installed Dragon for end users before, and got a chance to play with it a little bit, and it was surprisingly accurate and effective. But you're right, I don't see how you would edit as you go, since you would have to keep jumping back and forth and I am not sure how that would work. You would probably have to train yourself to spill the whole scene out and then go back and edit all at once, which, as has already been pointed out, you would probably do anyway.

I would imagine there is a free trial period for the software? Maybe you could download it and give it a shot.
Image Image
LINE OF SIGHT: zombies, voodoo, and artifacts: Urban Fantasy with a New Orleans Flair!!! (99 Cent Special)
DRURY MANOR: VOLUME 1 (FREE!) - Axe murders, ghosts, and mystery
http://www.eslermedia.com/blog

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 am

The latest version of Dragon, which is 12, works extremely well. Infinitely better than the Windows version. Even far better than Dragon 11. It requires little or no training for most users, and is, well, almost intuitive. It just flat works. I do strongly suggest getting the premium package, even though it can cost twice as much.

My problem with Dragon is that I simply can't dictate writing. My mind goes blank. What I can do with Dragon, however, is dictate handwritten work that is already finished. Saves a ton of typing time. I can also dictate e-mails, and essentially run everything on my computer by voice. I like this. Dragon also has text to speech, and can read e-mails and documents. I like this, too.

But actually writing with Dragon depends on the user. Some write perfectly well by dictating. Others, including me, do not.

Basie

Postby Basie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Yeah, kind of what I expected. A good tool but not for my style.
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party