Blovel

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Edward G

Blovel

Postby Edward G » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 am

Online novels are a thing of the past. The idea simply doesn't work. Most of the time a large manuscript is too loaded with slow-moving scenes and descriptions to keep an online audience interested. Bloveling is what is required in blogs. A blovel is as follows:

* A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog.
    * Each post is 500 words max.
    * Each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post.
    * A typical blovel ends up being around 60,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year.
    * The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.

You could certainly use a great deal of your 100,000-word manuscript as material, but if you're going to write online novels, make them blovels. It's the wave of the future. Right now, my blog is probably the best example of a blovel on the web (No doubt others will do a much better job of it in the future.). :)
Gordon's Ghosts: The Place Where I Write My Blovels
Rise of the Zombie Lords is being written now. Come see! :)

Edward G

Re: Online Novel

Postby Edward G » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm

EccentricKim wrote:oh crap, now I've done it! lol
:mrgreen:
I still think WeAre should go with a small press, agent, or self e-pub.

You're talking third party publication to a new and inexperienced writer with no audience. I think people should learn how to write first. I think they should have people reading their writing first. I think they should be marketable first.

Bloveling, frankly, is a great way to learn to write. You are immediately writing for an audience rather than into thin air with the hopes of one day someone reading your work. You have to dedicate yourself to about an hour a day of writing (in order to make your post deadlines), so it builds the essential work ethic of a writer. You have to write concisely, edit and revise quickly, and build suspense. And what's great about it is that you don't have to be really good at first.

The addictive nature of a blovel is such that even if you're marginally good with a decent story idea, you'll probably trap your readers. And right now is the time. When there are a million blovels out there, then people will be able to go anywhere and read them, and they'll only read the best. Right now, a blovelist is automatically leading the pack.

I believe if a person can prove themselves as a successful blovelist and build up a readership, they will get a much better contract for paper versions of their books. I doubt anyone is storing my blovel posts. And, like two days after the last post is written, that blovel comes off the blog. It will only be available thereafter as a paperback book or an e-book. Then I'll start the next blovel, and the same readers will read and more readers will come, and those new readers will be like, "Hmmm. I'd like to read Rise of the Zombie Lords--everyone said it was so good."

When there are a million blovelists out there doing that, it won't be so easy as it is now to get noticed. ;)
Gordon's Ghosts: The Place Where I Write My Blovels
Rise of the Zombie Lords is being written now. Come see! :)

pls

Re: Online Novel

Postby pls » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Edward. You've made your point about 90 times over about your blovel. Kindly desist from hijacking other people's threads to spam your blovel. If you come up with anything new to say about your blovel, kindly post it in your own thread about your blovel. Otherwise lay off promoing your blovel entirely. Okay? Get it? No more blovelspam.

To all: EdwardG is no longer a member of the WD forum for reasons of continued spamming, failure to follow explicit directions from a mod, harassment, and failure to follow forum rules. FYI.

Return to Writers' Block Party