A media kit can be a great tool for promoting your work and can be used to try to get mentions in publications or to try to get speaking engagements or spots on radio or TV.
A few do’s and don’ts:
- Do include your complete contact information as well as your website/blog address
- Do include a personal biography and a photograph of yourself
- Do include a business card
- Do include any recent articles or endorsements
- Do include a good cover sheet that summarizes the contents of your media kit
- Do include a copy of your latest book
- Don’t over do it–these days everyone is busy and have short attention spans. Keep it relevant and to the point.
- Don’t include clippings of every press mention that you’ve ever gotten–go with either the most recent or the most impressive. Everything else can be summarized on your cover sheet (remember to be concise).