Today’s one of those days when my brain is working, yes, but my thoughts are all over the place. I feel mentally and intellectually disorganized. It probably doesn’t help that my house is a mess. It’s not dirty, it’s cluttered. On the table next to me: 5 candles (what? who needs 5 candles in one place?), papers, bills, a hairbrush, 2 baseball caps, a sweatshirt, purse, water, Gatorade, a beach rock, and a jacket. All this on my kitchen table, friends! This drives my husband crazy. He literally panics when there is stuff everywhere. They say a cluttered home, a cluttered mind… so there you go. But! It was on my NOT TO DO LIST, to not clean and I stuck by it! Writing comes first, no? There’s that.
Okay, so today requires a list. It’s the only way I can organize my thoughts. Here’s what I have to report:
1. I bought a Blackberry. No more Nana phone, as my friend Sara called it. I am already thinking this new phone is going to be a time saver and I’m going to TRY not to get addicted to it. And I love the little aqua blue case.
2. I joined Twitter! Yes, another foray into the 21st century. I still don’t really know how it works, but I am trying. If you want to follow me as I figure it out: @MFACONFIDENTIAL
3. My story was workshopped on Monday night. It went well. It was helpful. I realized when people tell me what they think the story is about, it helps me tremendously. It helps me because I am able to tell if my point is coming across, if what I am trying to say is being said.
4. I haven’t written any fiction in a few days. I have so many ideas, but I am finding it hard to BEGIN. I think I needed a break after I finished my last story and now I am trying to decide if I should plunge into something new, or spend some time revising something old.
5. I think I am going to start submitting stories to magazines and journals again. Just to see. I spoke with Robert Lee Brewer at the WD conference and he suggested sending out to 5 journals at a time and then once you hear back, sending the story/stories off to the next 5. I think I’ll do that. I actually like rejection letters (especially when they’re personal). It makes me feel like I exist… that at least I’m trying!
I’m off to head into the city for a coffee (or maybe wine) with a good friend, and then a meeting, and then class. Saul Bellow discussion tonight!
Have a great day!
And here’s a Saul Bellow quote:
“I feel that art has something to do with achievement of stillness in the midst of chaos. A stillness which characterizes prayer, too, and the eye of the storm.”