As we do each year, Writer’s Digest is putting on some awesome (and HUGE) writers conferences on both coasts of the country. These conferences bring together writers from all over the country, and lead to all kinds of good things, like signing with an agent, meeting your writer friends for life, keeping your finger on the pulse of the industry, and/or simply recharging your writing bat. Read on for more info. We hope to see you there.
EAST COAST EVENT: NEW YORK CITY, AUG. 1–3, 2014
This event happens from Friday, August 1, through Sunday, August 3, 2014, at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan, 45 E. 45th St, New York, NY 10017. (There is a conference room rate, which you can learn more about here.)
There are many, many instructional sessions and panels at the event—on topics such as:
- “How to Write a Page-Turner”
- “Ask the Editors” (an open Q&A with NYC editors)
- “Ask the Agents” (an open Q&A with NYC agents)
- “How to Use Crowdfunding For Your Book”
- “Writing From Personal Experience”
- “How to Sell Your First 1000 Copies”
- Harlen Coben, a man with more than 50 million copies of his books in print, is a keynote speaker
- And many, many, many more. All classes details on the website schedule.
Get an agent: Like I mentioned, the big draw to the NYC event is the massive Agent Pitch Slam, which sees agents signing a few writers every single year without fail. Following previous events, agencies that have signed new writers have included ICM Partners, FinePrint Literary Management, Andrea Hurst & Associates, Rita Rosenkranz Literary, Stonesong, Movable Type Literary, and more. You can see a list of the 2014 pitch slam agents (and editors) online here.
WEST COAST EVENT: LOS ANGELES, AUG. 15–17, 2014
This second event—our “Novel Writing Conference”—happens from Friday, August 15, through Sunday, August 17, 2014, at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in LA, 2025 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067. There is a west coast event room rate, which you can find here.
New York Times best-selling authors David Morrell and Jonathan Maberry will be teaching special workshops as add-ons for attendees. Maberry will also be speaking as a keynote to all attendees. You can see the entire schedule here. The whole weekend is packed with instruction and advice to give you the tools needed to move your novel forward.
To keep the focus on instruction, there is no giant pitch slam at the west coast novel-writing event. That said, there will be 4–5 agents in attendance at our “Ask the Agents” panel who will also be meeting with writers for one-on-one pitch appointments (optional add-ons for writers) throughout the day.
There is a ton more information about our west coast conference. See it all here.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer’s Digest Conference (New York, NY)