It’s no secret that the query letter is a difficult monster to tame. Plenty of people say that writing a concise, compelling query is not much easier than writing the manuscript itself. Because a query is your all-important first contact with publishing professionals, and because literary agents read the most queries, we’ve secured agent Michelle Brower (Folio Literary) for our next webinar: “The Art of the Query: Winning an Agent From the Very First Page.” It happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, May 30, 2013, and lasts 90 minutes. All attendees get their query critiqued by Michelle. She may even request more material if she loves your pitch.
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit their query letter for an intensive review. All submissions are guaranteed a written critique by literary agent Michelle Brower. Michelle reserves the right to request more writing from attendees by e-mail following the event, if she deems the query excellent.
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Your query letter is your introduction, your handshake, your first date. In order to get an agent to fall in love with your writing, you first must get them to fall in love with your query. It’s only one page, but it’s your most important page. What makes some queries successful, while others immediately get a rejection?
In this brand new live webinar, instructor and literary agent Michelle Brower will show you how agents go through their slush pile and how they make decisions based on query letters. The webinar will cover query dos and don’ts, and will also have examples of successful letters that have made the cut. Michelle will show you how to win over an agent, as well as identify common pitfalls.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to start your query
- Why an agent could stop reading after your first sentence
- Common mistakes that writers make
- How to distill your book idea into an elevator pitch
- How to make sure you keep an agent’s interest
- How to highlight your hook
- How simple and direct can often be the best way to go. Sign up for Michelle’s webinar here.
Michelle Brower began her career in publishing in 2004 while studying for her Master’s degree in English Literature at New York University, and has been hooked ever since. During that time, she assisted the agents Wendy Sherman and Joelle Delbourgo, and found herself in love with the process of discovering new writers and helping existing writers further their careers. After graduating, she became an agent with Wendy Sherman Associates, and there began representing books in many different areas of fiction and non-fiction. In 2009, she joined Folio Literary Management, where she is looking for literary fiction, thrillers, high-quality commercial fiction that transcends genre, and narrative non-fiction. She enjoys digging into a manuscript and working with authors to make their project as saleable as it can be, and her list includes the authors Dana Gynther, Rebecca Rasmussen, Jason Mott, and Tara Conklin among many others. Sign up for the webinar here.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers currently composing a query who want to make sure their work gets read
- Writers who have been rejected by agents and editors, and want to evaluate why their query didn’t make the cut
- Writers who are getting form rejections
- Writers who are unsure about how to craft a query
- Writers who want a professional critique by a literary agent
- Anyone with non-novel publishing credits considering making the jump to fiction writing