Exciting news! Jeanne V. Bowerman, founder of the #scriptchat group on Twitter, will be teaching writers how to write and format screenplays & scripts, in her webinar, “How to Write a Marketable Screenplay,” at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010. If you’ve ever wanted to write a screenplay or learn more about how the process of writing for Hollywood works, this is your chance.
1. Learn what producers are looking for. Besides simply “good writing,” producers are looking for scripts with proper format and stories that follow a three-act structure. Jeanne will delve into both formatting and craft.
2. A critique of your script. Have you written a script or even just started? Jeanne is reviewing the first three pages of every attendee’s script.
3. Ask questions. No doubt you have questions about the business or craft of screenwriting, and you can submit your questions to Jeanne in real time (and no question goes unanswered!).
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What the industry standards are and how to format your script.
- The steps from concept to completion.
- How to craft a one-sentence logline that explains the entire story’s concept and makes a producer request a read.
- Using structure to take your audience on an emotional ride.
- How to create interesting heroes and give them an evolution/arc.
- How to keep your reader turning the page.
- How to analyze feedback, rewrite and edit your script long before a producer ever sees it.
- A checklist of what you need before you pitch a producer or agent.
- Newbie mistakes to avoid, including common things that can make a reader stop in those first few pages.
Jeanne Veillette Bowerman adapted the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Slavery by Another Name, into a screenplay, co-writing with its author, Wall Street Journal senior national correspondent Douglas A. Blackmon. She’s the co-founder and moderator of the Twitter screenwriter chat, #Scriptchat, which has received recognition from Script Magazine.