1) DO opt for brightly colored paper and fun fonts.
2) DO let editors and agents know that you’ve read your work to your kids or your grandchildren.
3) DO compare your work to best-selling authors.
4) DO send your letter certified mail.
5) DON’T finish your novel before you start querying.
6) DO boast. You know you’ve got a great book project.
7) DO go into a lot of detail about your manuscript.
8) DO let them know that you’ve hired an illustrator if you’re a picture book writer.
9) DO query about all your manuscripts at one time.
10) DON’T bother to mention that you’ve queried multiple editors or agents.
GLA Quick Subscribe
Updates from Guide to Literary Agents
Get the GLA Newsletter!
Search Blog Categories:
Search Monthly Archives:
Guide to Literary Agents RSS Subscription
October 2014 Issue
Free Writing Downloads
Workshops Starting October 2nd
Writer’s Digest Popular Fiction Awards—Deadline Coming Soon!
Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Awards—Deadline Coming Soon!
Hurry—submit your short story by October 15!
Submit your best short stories in the Romance, Thriller, Young Adult, Crime, Horror or Science Fiction genres for a chance at the Popular Fiction Awards Grand Prize of $2,500 cash and a trip to the 2015 Writer’s Digest Conference!
Enter as many stories as you like in multiple genres, but all entries must be fewer than 4,000 words. Don’t delay—this could be your winning year!