Jane Friedman, the former publisher of WD and all-around nonfiction & platform guru, is teaching a great webinar for writers of nonfiction: “3 Secrets for Selling Your Nonfiction Book” (link updated). This is one of our best-attended webinars over the years because Jane knows her stuff and has seen hundreds of books through to publication while with F+W Media. If you’re writing nonfiction, it’s not to be missed. Sign up here.
It all goes down at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, January 20, 2011, and lasts 90 minutes. You do not have to attend the live webinar to view the presentation or receive a critique.
1. Get a critique from a pro. All registrants are invited to submit a query or a 1-page overview of their nonfiction book concept. All submitted queries are guaranteed a critique by the instructor. Sign up here (link updated.)
2. Ask Jane questions. Go ahead — try and stump her. If you have questions about your project that you can’t find the answers to, ask Jane. She can give you individualized information about how to best move your project forward. And remember, in a WD webinar, no question goes unanswered.
3. Everything you’ll learn:
- Find out the difference between a nonfiction book concept that gets an immediate, enthusiastic response from agents/editors—and one that gets no response.
- Learn the one golden rule of nonfiction book ideas and how it assures publication every time.
- Learn the basics of nonfiction book proposal writing—smart authors never write the book first, they always write a proposal.
- Why self-help/memoir hybrid works almost always get rejected.
- The types of memoirs that can and do sell today.
- How a book proposal needs to be approached like a business plan to be successful.
- Why the marketability of your idea (or the strength of your platform) is more important than the quality of your writing. Sign up here (link updated.)
As the former publisher and editorial director of Writer’s Digest, Jane Friedman is an industry authority on commercial, literary, and emerging forms of publishing. She has spoken at more than 200 writing events since 2001, and is known within the publishing industry as an innovator, cited by sources such as Publishers Weekly, GalleyCat, PBS online, and Mr. Media. Jane currently serves as a visiting professor of e-media at the University of Cincinnati, and is a contributing editor to Writer’s Digest. Since 2008, she’s offered advice for writers at her award-winning blog, There Are No Rules.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Sign up here (link updated.)