I just returned from the (brand new) Books-in-Progress Writers Conference at the Carnegie Literacy Center in Lexington, KY. This was the third time I have been fortunate enough to present at the center (it’s not far from my home in Cincinnati), and it was a great experience. The Carnegie Center seems to be an incredible resource of writers and artists in the area. When you walk in the doors, the first two things you notice is 1) the beauty and ambiance of the building, and 2) that they encourage you to take a free book every time you stop by!
(Check out this page if you’re looking for a list of writers conferences.)
I gave three speeches — one on pitching, one on platform, and one on how to get published. The platform speech was relatively new (adopted from my book, Create Your Writer Platform) and seemed to go well.
Following the three speeches and some tasty lunch at a sandwich place down the block, I sat down with agents Sorche Fairbank (my OWN agent, as a matter of fact) and Janet Reid of FinePrint Literary to do some “Conference Idol” where we had a manuscript’s first page read to us and we gave thoughts.
All in all, it was a great experience, and I cannot say enough good things about the Carnegie Center. This is definitely a great place for Kentucky to have.
I Will Speak At These Great Writing Events in 2012-2013:
- June 7-8: Clarksville Writers Conference (Clarksville, TN)
- June 22-24: Crested Butte Writers Conference (Crested Butte, CO)
- July 26-28: Midwest Writers Workshop (Muncie, IN)
- Aug. 2-8: Homeric Writers Retreat & Workshop (Isle of Ithaca, Greece)
- Sept. 13-14: Chicago Writers Conference (Chicago, IL)
- Feb. 14-17, 2013: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- April 5-7. 2013: Writer’s Digest Conference East (New York, NY)
- April 19-20, 2013: Kentucky Writers Conference (Bowling Green, KY)
- May 17-19, 2013: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- May 23-26, 2013: Writers Guild of Alberta Event (Edmonton, Canada)
- June 7-8, 2013: Carnegie Literary Center “Books-in-Progress Conference” (Lexington, KY)
- June 21-23, 2013: Agents & Editors Conference / Writers League of Texas (Austin, TX)
- July 25-28, 2013: Pacific Northwest Writers Conference (Seattle/Bellevue, WA)
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.