Just got back from Cocoa Beach, FL, and the Space Coast Writers’ Conference. It was my first conference of the year and the first in about three months, so it was nice to get back out and meet writers. The conference went well, with good attendance and a great cast of speakers, agents and editors.
Friday night keynote
speaker Davis Bunn.
I did two—one on shaping your pitch to agents, and another on playwriting. Everything went well and, as usual, I still found a little bit of time here and there to play some piano for folks. It was pretty cold—about 60 degrees—so there was no sunbathing for me (All at once, Florida: “Thank God”), though I did get to enjoy a run on the beach.
Cocoa Beach in January.
A bit cold, but still enjoyable.
A few us of got to let loose on Saturday night at a cool seafood restaurant. Back at the hotel bar, there was a singles dance for seniors, which was pretty crazy (believe you me). Maybe the coolest moment of the night was meandering down A1A with some people and then walking into a karoake bar and singing “Margaritaville” with Bloomingtree Press editor Madeline Smoot, who has quite the singing voice (believe you me again).
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer’s Digest Conference (New York, NY)