If you want to be a writer in today’s world, you must have a simple and effective writer website. You need something to come up in searches when people Google you. You need a place where agents and editors can learn more about you and what you’re writing. You need a place to post news and information about yourself so you can connect with other writers and build your platform. A website is this all-important “central hub” for your outreach efforts online. Because having one is so important, WD has enlisted literary agent Kathleen Ortiz to teach a brand new webinar called “Create an Author Website to Sell More Books and Attract Agents & Editors” on Thursday, June 28, 2012. All attendees will also get their website critiqued by Kathleen.
It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, June 28, 2012, and lasts 90 minutes. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for one year. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation. In all WD webinars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the webinar presentation in an e-mail that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this e-mail as well. Sign up here.
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to e-mail instructor Kathleen Ortiz their completed website within 30 days of the webinar. Participants should apply most (if not all) of what they learned to their new website. All submissions are guaranteed a critique by instructor Kathleen Ortiz—including evaluation of construction at that point, as well as suggested next steps to make the site even better. Kathleen reserves the right to ask for writing samples from writers whose sites she enjoys.
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Twitter, Facebook, blogs—all great tools. But without an effective home base to manage your presence, all you have are various online tools with no toolbox.
Author websites are critical for effective online marketing and readership growth. Even unpublished authors can benefit greatly from establishing a starter site. By creating a site, you build awareness of your books to create a platform, make contacts in the writing and media world, and begin accessing opportunities for your writing career.
Agents and editors do explore online and look at writers’ websites, and they also Google prospective clients frequently. Sometimes the available online content alone is enough to garner interest (rather than waiting for an unsolicited query). This webinar will examine current authors whose agents or editors found them online because of their website and online visibility, not because of a slush pile query.
This 90-minute intensive webinar focuses on the simplest FREE tools to get a website up and running in less than 48 hours. Don’t worry if you’re not up to speed on your HTML, XML, or Java (or if you don’t even know what those are!). You don’t need experience with blogging or even a domain. This webinar will teach you how to build your site from the ground up.
While several different site-building platforms will be discussed, this session offers a step-by-step tutorial on setting up a site using WordPress—one of the best in-class systems for web sites today, which is free to use, open source, and continually improving.
In addition to receiving instruction, attendees are invited and encouraged to ask the presented questions regarding their personal circumstances and concerns. In WD webinars, no question goes unanswered. Sign up here.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- 5 simple services that help you create a codeless website, for free, in an hour or less (plus what services to avoid)
- Absolute must-have elements for every author site, even if you’re unpublished
- How an author website constitutes visibility, and how it adds to your writer platform and your personal ability to sell books
- The difference between a blog and a website, and whether or not you need a blog
- How to get started with WordPress, either at WordPress.com or on your own domain
- Free WordPress themes vs. premium themes you might consider investing in
- Basic and free WordPress plug-ins that you need, plus how to extend the functionality of your site with more advanced plug-ins
- How to add multimedia to your site (audio, video, photos, etc.)
- How to integrate social media sharing tools onto your site
- Site upgrades or additional features you might want that would necessitate further investment
- An easy-to-understand explanation of domains and hosting (but you don’t need to own a domain or have hosting to get started!)
- Common mistakes and pitfalls of websites and blogs
- When you should hire a professional designer or site developer, and how much you can expect to spend. Sign up here.
Kathleen Ortiz (@kortizzle) is a former online editor and interactive designer, and uses her experience in online marketing to help authors build their communities and promote themselves and their books. She looks past the pages of a story and thinks of ways to help authors reach more readers so they can interact with the characters and their world. She is the Director of Subsidiary Rights and a Literary Agent for New Leaf Literary and Media.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.