Are you thinking about writing a picture book and don’t know where to start? Have you written several but haven’t been able to interest agents or editors? In this new live webinar on Feb. 27, 2014 called “How to Write a Picture Book That Sells,” you’ll learn everything you need to know to not only write a picture book, but also write one that sells.
Literary Agent Jennifer De Chiara has more than fifteen years’ experience working with picture book authors – helping them create story ideas, editing their manuscripts, and selling their work to major publishers. She’ll share with you the tips and tricks of her trade to help you become a published picture book author, whether you only have a story idea you’ve always wanted to develop or a finished manuscript you don’t quite know what to do with or have had trouble selling to a publisher. It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, Feb. 27, 2014, and lasts 90 minutes. All attendees get a full picture book critique. Don’t forget that at least 4 agents who have taught WD webinars have signed clients afterward from the event.
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit the text for a picture book manuscript (no more than 1,000 words). All submitted picture book manuscripts are guaranteed a written critique by Literary Agent Jennifer De Chiara.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to come up with a great plot
- How to create page-turning points
- How to make a dummy book, and why you need one
- How to use language to reach a very young audience
- How to think visually
- How to avoid the taboos in writing for children
- How to handle illustration – what to do if you’re an illustrator, and what to do if you’re not
- How to learn from all of the great picture books throughout history that changed the way we write for children today. Sign up for the webinar here.
Jennifer De Chiara is President and Owner of the Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency, which she founded in 2001. The agency represents both children’s and adult books, fiction and non-fiction, in a wide range of genres and represents many best-selling, award-winning authors, including PEN and Edgar Award-winning author Matthew J. Kirby, PEN Award-winning author Carol Lynch Williams, Newbery Honor Medal-winner Margi Preus, Lambda Award-winning YA novelist Brent Hartinger, best-selling children’s book authors Chanda Bell and Carol Aebersold (Elf On The Shelf), best-selling, award-winning Cathie Pelletier (aka K.C. McKinnon), and the estate of #1 New York Times best-selling author Sylvia Browne. The agency has a strong presence in Hollywood, with many film and television projects produced or in development. Sign up for the webinar here.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who are thinking of writing a picture book but don’t know where to start
- Writers who are in the process of writing a picture book and need help getting “unstuck”
- Writers who have finished picture books that keep getting rejected
- Writers who need help coming up with a plot for their picture book or are having other structural issues
- Writers who want to learn about illustrating for picture books
- Illustrators who want to learn about writing for picture books
- Writers who have been published but want to refresh their knowledge about writing picture books to take their books to the next level