Word round the campfire is that agent Stacia Decker has joined the Donald Maass Literary Agency. Stacia was an editor for a while, then joined Firebrand Literary earlier this year. Firebrand kind of abruptly closed in summer 2009, and three agents formed Upstart Crow Literary while Stacia moved over to Donald Maass.
Fiction areas of interest: She represents mystery, suspense, noir, and crime fiction and is looking for a strong voice, dark humor, fast-paced plotting, and unpredictable violence.
How to contact: E-mail her at email@example.com with the query letter and first 5 pages pasted into the body of the e-mail. “If we like the sound of your novel, we will request sample chapters and a synopsis. If we like your sample chapters, we will request the whole manuscript. If we like the whole manuscript, you will hear from us! No reading fees or expenses are charged at any time. To answer your query letter, up to four weeks. To read your sample chapters and outline, about the same. To read your whole manuscript, overnight to a few months. (If we request it, please check with us.)”
Want more on this subject?
- See my article about Upstart Crow Literary forming.
- Agent Donald Maass explains your tools for character building.
- Like genre writing? Check out this online class, Essentials of Mystery Writing.
- Confused about formatting? Check out Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript.
- Read about What Agents Hate: Chapter 1 Pet Peeves.
- Want the most complete database of agents and what genres they’re looking for? Buy the 2011 Guide to Literary Agents today!