A. I would tell Agent 2 that Agent 1 already has it. This is not completely true, but it’s basically true (truthiness?) because you were about to send it anyway to Agent 1.
You can offer Agent 2 an almost-exclusive look at the pages. I would say she will take the pages anyway and you have nothing to worry about. Agents want exlcusive looks at pages, but they understand if it’s already out.
Want more on this subject?
- Blog post: Exclusive submissions & treading carefully.
- Will a literary agent find your work online and sign you?
- What are the BEST writers’ conferences in the country?
- Confused about formatting? Check out Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript.
- Read about What Agents Hate: Chapter 1 Pet Peeves.
- Want the most complete database of agents and what genres they’re looking for? Buy the 2010 Guide to Literary Agents today!