It’s that time again – time to pick some new songs for my cover band to learn. That said, I need some guidance in making my next pick. Below you will find four “finalists” for our next song to learn. I need an informal vote on which one to choose, and YOU are the voters.
Remember that there are four criteria upon which to judge these songs:
1. Awesomeness. Is it awesome? How awesome?
2. Danceability. This is key. Songs have to get the ladies dancing. If the ladies do not dance, then the men do not dance, and hence we do not have a dance floor. Bar managers = miffed.
3. Widespread Appeal. Will the song push some people off the dance floor? Do younger peeps in their 20s even know Eddie Money songs?
4. Chuck Looking Cool Playing Guitar. You must weigh the first three against if there are cool guitar riffs and licks that I can wail on. I’m talking guitar riffs that go SCREE-DIDDLEY-DEE and then I shoot the audience a “Can you dig it?” look.
1. “Take Me Home Tonight,” by Eddie Money
2. “Hey Jealousy,” by The Gin Blossoms
3. “Crazy Game of Poker,” by OAR
4. “A medley of Rolling Stones songs – snippets of “Start Me Up,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Satisfaction,” and “Paint it Black.”
What song should I pick? Leave a comment (and, if you like, make a case).